Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My intent was to reward myself, not torture myself.

I turned in my last assignment of the semester on Monday, so yesterday I decided to treat myself to a haircut, a manicure, and a pedicure.

The mani/pedi was uneventful, although I did learn how to say "thank you" in Korean--kom sa hom nida. (This brings my arsenal of Korean phrases to two! "Hello, how are you?" is onyo hashim nika.) After that I headed over to the hair salon and was quickly taken back to the shampoo area where I was second in line for a wash. As I waited, the woman getting her hair washed complimented the shampooer on her head massaging skills. The shampooer (let's call her Katie, because Katies tend to be peppy in my experience) giggled with glee and informed everyone in the vicinity that "every person today has said that to me! They all said I give a really good head massage! Every single customer!"

Truthfully, I was excited; the shampoo lady (her name was "Nile, like the river," she told me every single time I saw her) at my last salon in Virginia was excellent, and I've been longing for a head massage like that for some time now. By the time Katie finished up her customer, I was ready to enjoy some fontanel fondling!

Well, Katie must have been really into it by the time she got to me, because holy shit she worked my scalp like a mad woman. I'm no longer an infant so I'm assuming the soft spots in my skull have fused together by now. I must be wrong. Either my soft spots never closed up or Katie drilled new ones for me. It felt like she was digging her fingers into my brain, trying to steal some intelligence.

Ugh, what a traumatic experience, and it didn't end there! My hairstylist gave me a great 'do, but I really suffered in the process. The way he cut the back of my hair was by tilting my head forward, forcefully plastering my hair against the back of my neck, and then scraping the scissors against my neck.

As I left the hairstylist said to me, "Beautiful! ...and badly needed." Yeah, thanks.

It hurts to be beautiful slightly above average.

2 comments:

  1. i think u should study to be a writer instead. "i felt like she was digging her fingers in to my brain, trying to steal some intelligence" thats is something a great writer can express.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be great at many things at once... like me for instance!

    ReplyDelete