Sunday, July 17, 2011

Everybody has nipples!

Tommy and I spent some time at our condo's clubhouse yesterday. It was sunny and hot: perfect for lounging in and around the outdoor pool. We had fun goofing off and horsing around in the cool water. (I cradled him baby-doll style in the pool. It makes me feel like I have super human strength.)

A mother and her young 3- or 4-year old daughter were playing on the steps leading into the pool. We passed them on the way out of the pool. As we walked by, the tiny girl looked at Tommy and said to her mom, "Look at that big man! Look at his nipples!!!"

I wasn't sure if I'd heard her correctly, so I confirmed it with Tommy once we were out of earshot. The mom replied to her daughter, "Everybody has nipples! But you don't talk about peoples' bodies. That's private."

I imagine the little girl thought to herself, "If it's private, why is he showing off with those shiny ornaments?!" Poor kids. They get such mixed messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment